Taking on the role of being a yoga teacher is a beautiful path in life. Traditionally, yoga was only taught directly from teacher to student. Preparing yourself to hold space for others is a significant responsibility, and requires sincere dedication.
THE IMPORTANCE OF A TEACHER IN YOGA
The guru is very important. The word guru means ‘one who dispels the darkness of ignorance. He is needed because in yoga there are several different methods that work towards the same goal of perfection.
Yoga science has two aspects - theoretical and practical. Theory can be learned through books and scriptures but a perfect guide, or guru, is needed to learn the practical aspect. Only a guru can select and prescribe one that is suitable to the upbringing, circumstances, mind, and nature of the student.
A person who tries to learn the practical aspect of yoga through books is often confused by the great variety and diversity of techniques. He gains nothing by trying a little of everything, and even if he is sincere, his efforts are wasted. A true teacher will always lead the student systematically through the complex stages of yoga to the ultimate state of perfection. Fortunate indeed is a student who has the blessings and guidance of a guru.
The role of a yoga teacher in the contemporary world. The traditional role of a yoga teacher is something different from a teacher involved in other sports and exercise systems. An effective yoga teacher should be devoted to yoga teaching, and that should be the only aim of his life. He/She should help the students be aware of the usefulness of yoga education and help them achieve greater physical as well as mental wellbeing through a safe yoga practice.
A yoga teacher should qualify himself/herself with proper yoga education as well as possess the character and quality of a traditional yoga teacher in words, thoughts, and deeds. Below are some qualities and qualifications that a good yoga teacher should possess:
1. The minimum age of a yoga teacher should be 20 years old.
2. A yoga teacher should have a good understanding of human anatomy and physiology so as to apply the yogic system effectively and safely. As such, having an educational background in bioscience would be helpful. In fact, possessing a science background is a pre-requisite for admission into any recognized yoga college.
3. A yoga teacher should have at least 4 to 5 years of solid practical experience. He/ She should be well versed in the theoretical aspect of yoga, such as yoga philosophy, and should be able to physically perform the majority of the yoga postures and impart the techniques.
4. A yoga teacher should have clarity of thought and patience while teaching. He/ She should also practice Pranayama and Meditation every day to increase his/her own mental balance and to store up a huge amount of Prana in the body.
5. A yoga teacher should also be a keen practitioner of yoga. He/She needs to be physically and mentally fit and possess the right temperament, such as having good patience and being sensitive, so that he/she can properly handle any classAccommodation situation.
The Role of A Yoga Teacher
1. A yoga teacher should be devoted to his/her teaching and should be motivated to perform this duty for the sake of spreading the traditional yoga system among the community to help others achieve greater physical and mental wellbeing, rather than doing so purely for monetary gains.
2. A yoga teacher should impart knowledge in a safe and harmonious manner so that students can achieve optimal results.
3. A yoga teacher should be punctual for class and encourage students to do so as well. No one should be allowed to attend class after warm-up exercises have been completed. A teacher should follow all the rules of teaching for the safety of the students. As such, no yoga exercises should be performed without first doing warming-up exercises and no one should leave class without having done relaxation exercises. Ignoring these rules can be detrimental to health.
4. A yoga teacher should communicate clearly and proficiently in class so that students have a thorough understanding of the important concepts of yoga.
5. A yoga teacher should explain the benefits of each asana to students to encourage them to perform their posture properly and effectively.
6. A yoga teacher should always enquire if students have any physical or psychological problems right at the start of each class so that necessary precautions can be taken to ensure safety in class.
7. A yoga teacher should be able to arouse curiosity in students and encourage them to ask questions in class. A good teacher clears students’ doubts and encourages them in their yoga path by answering these questions sincerely with a smile rather than being irritated by them.
8. A yoga teacher should always follow the moral ethics of Yama & Niyama and encourage the students to follow these principles in their daily lives so as to bring about calmness and other positive effects on their life. This will ultimately help remove stress, which is the main cause of all psychosomatic disorders.
In short, a yoga teacher plays a very important role as to whether or not yoga is successfully introduced to people of all ages. As such, a yoga teacher needs to possess physical agility and mental sharpness to perform his/her duty well. He/She has the responsibility to ensure that students, who practice this wonderful science and art under his/her guidance, will eventually blossom into healthy, well-balanced, strong, clear-minded as well as pure and kind-hearted men and women.
How do we tell if a class is good? From whose perspective?
Class type = sequencing = exploring traditional sequencing
The role of a yoga teacher
The art of observation
The art of communication
The art of adjustment
Safety in class
Connection And Distance
VARIOUS YOGA STYLES.
FINDING AND DEVELOPING YOUR TEACHING STYLE.
KEEP GROWING, HAVE THE HUNGER FOR KNOWLEDGE.
YOGA IS 99% PRACTICE 1% KNOWLEDGE.
Our Yoga Teacher Training Course in Rishikesh, India
We assure - you will bring back home new knowledges, memorable and enjoyable experience with you. "Job fills your pocket... Adventures fill your Soul...!"